A marriage proposal done right! The glacier region provides the perfect backdrop for romantic proposals by adventurers and nature lovers. Top tips for the ultimate marriage proposal:
- Choose your special spot – on a glacier, mountaintop, lake, river’s edge, waterfall, beach or under a forest canopy. Check out our Landscapes and Nature section or Unguided Walks and Hikes for inspiration.
- Decide if you’d like to be deep in nature and secluded, or with friends and family to share the special moment. The Franz Josef Isite Information Centre or accommodation and activity providers are a wealth of information in sourcing special spots.
- If your special spot requires help to get there e.g. helicopter, guided hike, boat or kayak, make sure the staff know in advance what you’re planning so they can help with your special moment. Staff are usually thrilled to help take photos or advise of best locations, weather, best time of day or other factors you may not be aware of. Click here for a list of adventure activities in Franz Josef Glacier, Fox Glacier, Whataroa and Okarito.
- Decide what time of day you’d prefer – sunrise or sunset for example.
- Consider bringing along some food and/or wine for an extra romantic touch. Supplies can be sourced at the Fox Glacier Store or the Franz Josef 4 Square Supermarket
- Consider making the whole day special rather than just the proposal moment. Watch the sunrise, have a full café breakfast, take a hike together, get a relaxing massage and private hot pool, and dinner and drinks to end the day or maybe a bonfire on the beach watching the sunset.
- Be flexible. Have a plan B if your proposal is weather dependent.
- Don’t forget the ring!
We hope you like our top tips for the ultimate marriage proposal and find the perfect spot in Glacier Country to say Yes!