The West Coast Wildlife Centre is centrally located in Franz Josef Glacier Village and is one of the most popular indoor attractions on the West Coast.
It is the official home to the breeding and incubation programme of live Rowi Kiwi and a public partnership with the Department of Conservation.
Found only in the South Okarito Forest, near Franz Josef Glacier, the Rowi is New Zealand's rarest of the 5 species of kiwi - only found in NZ.
It is also home to live Tuatara.
Tutatara are only found in NZ and are a highly endangered NZ reptile.
- Set aside between 30 minutes and 1 hours for a visit
- An all-weather indoor attraction - ideal for rainy days.
- Tickets valid for 24 hours and allow multiple entry during this period.
- Behind the Scenes Kiwi and Tuatara Tours
- See live baby kiwis - September to April each year
- Open all year round, every day from 8:30am
- Natural bush walk through nocturnal house for natural kiwi viewing
- Includes indoor glacier experience
- Children's fun facts tour
- West Coast movies, history and story telling
- Interactive displays
- New Zealand made and themed souvenirs
- Cafe and Bakery open from 8:30am
- Free wifi with cafe purchase
Tour groups and schools can enquire about personalised tours.
The West Coast Wildlife Centre is open from 9am daily and offers the most amazing interactive tours to see New Zealand's rarest Kiwi.