West Coast Wildlife Centre Franz Josef
The West Coast Wildlife Centre is centrally located in Franz Josef Glacier Village and the most popular indoor attraction on the West Coast.
It is the official home to the breeding and incubation progarmme of "live" rowi kiwi and a public partnership with the Department of Conservation.
Found only in the South Okarito Forest, near Franz Josef Glacier, the rowi is New Zealand's rarest of the 5 species of kiwi -only found in NZ.
It is also home to "live" Tuatara.
Tutatara are only found in NZ and are a highly endangered NZ reptile.
- Set aside between 30 minutes and 1 hours for a visit
- An all-weather indoor attraction - ideal for rainy days.
- Tickets valid for 24 hours and allow multiple entry during this period.
- Behind the Scenes Kiwi and Tuatara Tours
- See live baby kiwi's - September to April each year
- Open all year round, every day from 8:30am including Christmas Day
- Natural bush walk through nocturnal house for natural kiwi viewing
- Incudes indoor glacier experience
- Children's fun facts tour
- West Coast movies, history and story telling
- Interactive displays
- New Zealand made and themed souvenirs
- Cafe and Bakery open from 8:30am
- Free WIFI with cafe purchase
Tour groups and schools can enquire with us about personalised tours.
Booking and more information:
P: +64 3 752 0600
F: +64 3 757 0606
The West Coast Wildlife Centre is open 365 days of the year from 9am daily and offers the most amazing interactive tours to see New Zealand's rarest Kiwi.
Corner Cowan and Cron Streets,
Franz Josef Glacier,